The Boys & Girls Club of Harlem

New York
Photo © David Sundberg/Esto
Photo © David Sundberg/Esto
Photo © David Sundberg/Esto
Photo © David Sundberg/Esto
Photo © David Sundberg/Esto
Photo © David Sundberg/Esto
Architects
Dattner Architects
Location
New York
Year
2016
Client
Boys & Girls Club of Harlem, Alembic Community Development, Monadnock Construction

Completed in 1903, Harlem’s former PS 186 is a paradigm of 20th Century Architecture. The building was used as a school until the 1970s, and sat empty for decades. Purchased by the Boys & Girls Club of Harlem (BGCH) the building has restored after 40 years of neglect and converted to a new home for the Boys & Girls Club and affordable housing.

As a tribute to the building’s original use, the former primary student entrance is now the BGCH’s main entrance. The design team’s interior concepts highlight historic features of the original building and weaving in modern elements that embody the culture of the neighborhood. Historic corridors offer a sense of the building’s past, contrasted by modern insertions, animating the space. Materials and light convey a warm and inviting environment, and bright, bold furniture accommodates a variety of program uses.

As a result of Dattner Architects’ thoughtful restoration and adaptive-reuse of the Italian Renaissance Revival building, it has been approved by the National Parks Service for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.

Related Projects

  • 10 DESIGN | La Reserve Residences Wins Global Awards 2017
    10 DESIGN
  • London
    Matthias Frank Schmidt
  • Sugar Hill
    SLCE Architects
  • Barcelona Suites
    URBEN SEYBOTH
  • Neubau 36.5 Grad Heerbrugg im Standard Minergie®
    RLC Architektur, Projektentwicklung

Magazine

Other Projects by Dattner Architects

Cordish Family Pavilion, Princeton University
Princeton
Via Verde – The Green Way
Bronx
Hudson Yards Station at 34th Street
New York
Battery Park City School
New York
West Farms Redevelopment Plan
Bronx
Bronx Library Center
Bronx